So, The Broke Student Guide typically covers ways to save and get things for less money. But what about when you need to make some money - fast? Here are a few tips to help you out! Try one, two or all of these next time you need to make a quick couple of bucks.
1. Donate plasma. Donating plasma is just like donating blood, except you get paid for it! Most cities have a plasma donation center. Donating plasma is fairly easy - as long as you don't mind needles - and you can do it up to twice a week after you pass a screening and fitness exam which takes about 2 hours (additional visits take much less time). You can make roughly $200 or so extra a month donating plasma. Plus, as a bonus, you'll be helping out patients who need plasma for medical reasons! For more information and to find a donation center near you visit this site: http://www.bloodbanker.com/plasma/ or try googling "Plasma Donation [Your City]"
2. Paid studies and experiments at your university. whether Most universities that do academic research host paid studies that you can participate in for cash. For example, the psychology department at Indiana University offers up to $10/hr for certain studies, and they are always looking for demographics like people who smoke pot, drink often, don't drink at all, have good hearing, etc. You'll be helping with ground-breaking academic research AND earning cash. To find these studies, try looking around your school's Psych department building or Googling "Paid Studies at [My University]." The link to Indiana University's paid studies can be found here: http://cognitrn.psych.indiana.edu/busey/PaidSubjects/
3. If you have a marketable skill, earn money by offering your services. Marketable skills can be anything from tutoring in a subject you're great at, to cleaning houses, walking dogs, babysitting, making websites, creating artwork, or mending/hemming clothing. If you can't think of any skills, how about helping people move for $8/hr? I guarantee you'll find some takers at the end of the semester. Or how about putting up flyers around campus for clubs and organizations? You can advertise your skills online at put up an ad on your local Craigstlist or school classifieds - and while you're looking around in the classifieds, try to respond to any ads for "odd jobs" that you could do. You can also put an ad up at http://www.fiverr.com/, a website for exactly the purpose of getting people to pay you $5 for whatever random skills you may possess.
4. Sell any extra stuff you might have lying around. Some things you might sell include clothing, textbooks, CDs, video games, DVDs, action figures, key chains, jewelry, unused makeup, purses, or shoes. There are loads of ways to sell your extra stuff. You can have an old fashioned yard sale, or sell your items to stores that buy used items such as Plato's Closet or your local comic book or video store. If you have access to a camera and can take pictures of your stuff, you can sell it online at Ebay, or Craigslist . If you're absolutely desperate and have low standards, people will also buy your used underwear. (I've never tried this, but apparently you can get $30 for a pair of your panties on Craigslist. Hey, if the demand is there, why question it?)
5. Paid-To Sites Online. I talk about these a LOT, and even though they are not the fastest way to earn extra cash - typically it takes about a month or so to get the first check from each site - there are so many options available to anyone with an internet connection! Here is a list of the ones I use (they are all legit).
- Treasure Trooper. Get paid to do offers, take surveys, and click links, as well as get cash back for shopping online.
- SendEarnings. Get paid to click on links in emails, take surveys, complete offers, use grocery coupons, get cash back for shopping online, and more.
- InboxDollars. Get paid to click on paid emails, watch videos, complete offers, take surveys, complete tasks, and more.
- SwagBucks. Earn cash and gift cards by taking polls, watching videos, searching the internet, playing games, using grocery coupons, taking surveys, and completing offers.
- MyPoints (comment to request an invite to this one). Earn points by clicking on paid email links, playing games, taking surveys, and shipping online.
- CashCrate. Get paid to complete offers, take surveys and shop online.
- Mturk. This is a website owned by Amazon where you get paid to complete simple low-skill tasks such as identifying whether or not photos are blurry, or verifying an address of a company on its website.
-YouData is a site where advertisers target paid ads to you. Fill out a profile answering questions about yourself (try to be as open to everything as possible - the more things you're into, the more ads you'll get!) and then you'll be given some videos or text ads tailored to you. You'll get cash just for looking at the ads. They pay out via paypal with no minumum!
And there you have it. 5 easy ways to earn extra money in between sleeping and studying. For a few more suggestions, check out this link: http://www.walletpop.com/2011/03/03/college-students-guide-to-making-money-online/
Did I miss something? Comment with your experiences earning extra money at college, and any suggestions I can add!